Project Goliath

Posted on May 11 2016 - 12:55pm by piddler

This was my first attempt at building a DIY robot and also the main source of inspiration for building the channel/website.
It was named after the ambush predator the “Goliath Birdeater Tarantula” and modeled to be an ambush drone, hence the the name “Goliath Maneater”… lol, sometimes I have too much fun with naming things.

Extensive research went into developing this robot, here is a sample of some of the references I used.

Although many of the planned features were cut in order to reduce the cost and development time, here is what made the list:

Obstacle Avoidance System(very crude and problematic)
Plastic Dart Turret
Dynamic Motor Power
Dual Power Supply Setup: 2x 3pair-18650 lithium-ion packs(designed poorly)
Infrared Low-Latency IP Camera Streaming
MP3 playback
WIFI Remote Control
Laser Pointer

Although this represents the 1st generation of robots I created, I hope to continuously improve on future generations, and spread the knowledge/lessons learned along the way!

P.S. – Apologies about not posting the code/schematic, I didn’t have the foresight at the time to document the build.

-daPiddler